Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Civil War

On October 3rd, we answered a journal that addressed the question as to whether or not, considering the stakes of the Civil War, was it worth it. I am adamant in regards to the idea that the Civil War was an important piece of history and that it was indeed worth the occurrence. This is because it seemed to be the only thing that moved us forward. As I listened to other people sharing their ideas during class, they brought up the generalized point that slavery might've continued longer than it did if it weren't for the war. I have to agree with this statement, mostly due to the fact that it appears as if violence is the only solution America can find to taking it's step forward. Personally, that's what I find a major issue to be. Even then, with all these wars fought, we're barely making progress- racism still exists almost anywhere today, and it's a real wonder when people will be able to open their eyes and eliminate the ignorance for good. However, despite this, some progress is better than none. Even if it meant going through what had happened to get where we are today, I still believe that is was well worth it. Either it was the best decision to make, or it was not, in which case, you live and you learn. As days continuously pass, there will come a day where people DO learn the things they should have realized long ago. These pieces of history, such as the Civil War, simply take part in that.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what Anne has to say about the effects of racism still present in our society. It is such a shame that some of the most important events in American history involve the death of thousands of innocent citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What both of you say is true, but one wonders whether it is a uniquely American phenomenon... I have long regarded Indian democracy as a model of peaceful change, but lately I've been reading Arundhati Roy's observations on the state of democracy in India today, and it seems that violence has become a normal means of political expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement that while slavery was immoral, it was necessary for America to make progress because it was the plantation system and the profit it made that boosted early America into global economics. I also agree with your point about how not every issue can be solved with violence because war doesn't always work, although it did seemingly work in the case of the abolition of slavery. An extension on that point is how the work of Martin Luther King Jr. was so effective in the later struggles for civil rights despite his protests being strictly non-violent.

    ReplyDelete