Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why Is Poetry Written?

I think that poetry is written because it is a form of expression. As stated in the packet we had received, "an author is limited to his words to express his feelings and ideas". In this sense, this is no different from when you are writing other texts such as an essays, novels, and so forth. After all, they're composed of mostly words that only come out of our heads, aren't they? Words are all of what we have to create a text from our minds. However, these forms of writing are differentiated for a reason, and that's no exception for poetry. The way I see it, poetry is almost like a secret language. Poets are indeed able to express themselves, their experiences, and others through various ways and kinds of words. However, additionally, it's through words and phrases that mean something specifically to the poet. This is why I am adamant on the idea that although we are open to interpreting poetry as we wish, only the poet may truly understand what it means, as it was their experience, knowledge, and sentiments that created it. While poetry is indeed a form of writing, it has it's individual traits as well. It's expression, a story, a thought; something that wants to be said that can be executed and properly said by the poet themselves. Basically, I think poetry is written for ourselves to open up parts of ourselves in many ways.

2 comments:

  1. I think that what you have to say as really interesting. I never really thought of poetry as a "Secret language," but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definitely agree with your interpretation because only the author knows what he or she is trying to see. Though I never thought about it as some sort of "code", I must agree with both you and Meghna that it makes a lot of sense because once again, only the author know the true meaning.

    ReplyDelete