Sunday, September 28, 2014

Harriet Jacobs

While this week of school I was absent for a majority of class, what I was here for still stuck out to me. We watched a video titled "Slavery and the Making of America", and were told to watch another portion for homework. I was very intrigued by what came next from where we had left off. The film focused on a girl by the name of Harriet Ann Jacobs, a girl who faced trials like no other. Harriet was unique in her own way just as anybody else; very talented, being able to read, write, and sew. However, Harriet was born into slavery due to her mother being a slave. She didn't get to live a normal life; and as we all know, the life of a slave was a depressingly unfair and unsafe one. Harriet had extra burdens and dangers on her shoulder. As time went by she was in the hands of a man namely James Norcom, whom sexually harassed her. This both frightened me and disgusted me as I continued to watch the video. I never realized how there were an astonishing amount of terrifying things happening to slaves beyond what we've already been told in lessons growing up. Still, I can't help but to admire Harriet. Her strengths and ability to withstand all the hardships she crossed are nothing but incredible to me. Harriet's experiences are definitely something for all of us to reflect on and consider from time to time, as a detailed story of one can explain a lot more than what the big picture might entail.

No comments:

Post a Comment