Saturday, September 13, 2014

Starting Out

Hi! As this is my first entry, I figured it'd be best to begin with some introductions. I'm Anne, and I'll be keeping this weekly blog for my history class over the course of the following year. Cool? Cool.

Anyways, I think I'd like to begin by reflecting on the very slight parallel between both the American Studies and American Literature classes. I find it pretty interesting how we're able to learn from similar fields of a topic yet understand them and further comprehend them in different ways as the courses take their individual direction. I suppose, for an example that is in more recent to what we are learning, in both classes we have begun to lean towards the topic of slavery, both being brought about in different ways. For American Studies, we read a text- being Thomas Jefferson's "Notes on the State of Virginia" whereas in American Literature we read a text on the endurances of Equiano. I find it not only intriguing how touching base on a similar subject can take it's own route, but how much we're able to learn and the ways we take in such information in the separate classes. In other words, since the classes entail for different types of work, we use the connecting information we gather in different ways. I have to say that's something I enjoy. Push aside from what I've mentioned, it also makes me feel more on track being able to put two and two together. I wonder if this is something that'll remain somewhat consistent throughout the year.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Anne. When we make connections between American Studies and American Literature, I find that it is much easier for me to learn the material because I can connect it to what I have learned in the other class. I also hope that this is something that will be continued throughout this school year.

    ReplyDelete