Sunday, April 26, 2015
The Glass Menagerie
Being a good way into The Glass Menagerie, I find myself really liking the book. Often, when reading or watching works, my immediate thought is to connect with a character or running theme in some way. This is how I usually find immersing myself in a book; by finding a way to empathize with a component of the book, it enables for it to be more applicable to my own life and put that in perspective. That being said, I find Laura to be easy to relate to. While I obviously am not a mirror representation of her life in its entirety, I find myself on a similar emotional level. This is, of course, a similar case for anybody. We'll never be complete replicas of anything down to the simple fact that humanity is much too complex; but there are pieces that make up us and that we are able to share. This isn't an exception between what I find between myself and Laura. In fact, during the discussion we had on Laura in the previous class, I realized a lot of the things people shared on their thoughts in regards to her were very similar if not exactly representative of myself. She appears to be the type who is rather avoidant, paranoid, and insecure. In not thinking of herself as highly as she should, Laura finds ease into keeping herself to what appears to be far in her comfort zone. She thinks because of the lower level she views herself at, it's justifiable to ignoring what might be in front of her. Despite this, Laura is a person who seems to be full of compassion. She puts all her love into other things, an example being Tom. This put all together also exemplifies she has a trait of being selfless. Laura, overall, is the type of person that has a lot to her beneath the surface, and this put together is something identifiable to myself. That being said, I enjoy Laura as a character.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with Annie in the fact that one of the most interesting aspects of reading a book is being able to relate with the characters in order to make the story meaningful and more applicable to your life. I believe that this is one of the main purposes of books and one of the reasons why they have been so valuable in society. Additionally, I find the way Annie describes Laura is very interesting, I too thought that she was very compassionate when I read the book despite her shyness, which I agree was one of the most endearing things about her character.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you, I find myself Really relating to Tom's sarcasm. Maybe that is a bad thing, I am not sure. However, I think that Tom and Laura are good for eachother, because they are kind of opposites, they make each other better.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Anne that being able to connect to a character in literature is often what influences the opinion of whether we enjoyed the book or not. I thought that your analysis of Laura was interesting because I felt that in some occasions, Laura is very polite, especially to Jim, and in other cases, is rather "rude", such as the example when Tom breaks her collection, she just looks at him in horror. Though being polite is her nature, Williams does exemplify a few moments when the reader discovers that Laura's character is more than just reclusive and polite.
ReplyDelete